HMS LenoxSold Popular
By: Donald McNarry, FRSA
This spectacular British 3rd Rate two-decker, is shown at anchor with the Royal Standard set flying in the mizzen shrouds, as a signal for all ship commanders to report to the flagship. It was built by J. Shish at Deptford in 1678 and was a 60/70-gun ship-of-the-line with a gun deck of 151' 6", 39' beam, 1013 tons. Armament included: 32pdrs on gun deck, 18pdrs on upper deck and 6pdrs on quarterdeck. A solid wood core planked-over model shows numerous decorative carving elements traditional for a vessel of this size and era. They include such things as gunport wreathes, quarter gallery windows and ornamentation, elaborate stern carvings which display the Royal Coat of Arms, and trophy-of-war items, three lanterns, as well as a classic English lion figurehead. All of pear, apple, beech, sycamore, and boxwood. Other features include laid decking, with all appropriate deck furniture, sun canopy, gear, and fittings. The model is authentically painted per mid 17th century naval practice with an natural topside and tallow-cream bottom. Rigging is of painted twisted copper wire, furled sails and flags are of treated and painted tissue, with a wooden sculpted sea being hand-carved and painted with artists oils. The case is constructed of English black walnut burl veneer with matching trim on the cover, and brass engraved plaques.
Model type: Waterline
Scale: 1/16" = 1'
Size: 21 1/4" x 9 1/2" x 14 3/4"